The American Public Power Association’s Demonstration of Energy & Efficiency Developments program funds research, pilot projects, and education to improve the operations and services of public power utilities. Popularly known as DEED, the program uses as its symbol the "eta," a Greek letter used by scientists to denote efficiency. See a program overview.
Is your organization already a DEED member? Check the DEED member list.
For 40 years, the DEED program has helped in the development of major innovations for the public power community. Click here to view some of the many accomplishments over the years and access the DEED Project Library (requires a DEED member login) for a look at all the projects that have come through the DEED program.
This publication describes the projects DEED grantees completed with the program's support in 2021.
Recent DEED News
The January 2024 DEED Digest included:
- 2024 Energy Innovator Award Application Now Open
- Spring 2024 Funding Cycle Now Open
- DEED program has two director seats open: Region 5 and Region 10
- Self-Service Ride & Drive and Rural EV Sharing webinar (Feb. 29)
- APPA's RP3 program currently has six openings on its Review Panel
- R&D News and Deliverables for Members: DEED Projects and Awards
Prior DEED Digest Newsletters here.
Joint action agencies' DEED toolkit here.
Any public power utility, joint action agency, or state/regional association which is a regular member of the American Public Power Association may join the DEED program for a fee. As a DEED member, your organization may:
- Apply for funding: Receive a DEED grant up to $125,000 for a pilot project; early commercialization or new technology demonstration; or the development of best practices, services, tools, and publications that strengthen public power utilities and improve customers’ lives.
- Share project ideas: Before applying for funding, DEED members may explore potential projects and partnership opportunities with industry vendors that are Association corporate associate members. Use the DEED Idea Exchange.
- Hire an intern: Boost your workforce development and recruitment efforts through DEED’s scholarship program. Get a student to work at your utility and strengthen relationships with local universities.
- Learn from other utilities: Search, learn from, and replicate any of 500+ innovative projects, through comprehensive project reports in the DEED Project Library. These projects cover topics from energy efficiency, demand response, reliability, and lighting, to renewable resources, safety, security, storage, drones, and environmental topics.
- Access the best resources: Attend DEED webinars at no charge, from the convenience of your office. Enjoy special savings on publications, software, videos, and e-learning on reliability, safety, security, energy efficiency, lighting, environmental management, and more.
- Obtain discounted resources: The APPA Store carries products developed through DEED that are sold to a wider audience. DEED members receive complimentary or discounted pricing.
Join DEED today — email us at [email protected] or call 202-467-2942 for membership information.
DEED Membership Dues
Utility members: Dues are 20% of Association membership dues with an $11,500 maximum.
Joint action agencies: Joint action agency dues cover the Agency and its Association members for DEED membership. Dues are 20% of the combined total of all agency members’ Association dues up to $20,000, with an additional 90% discount on calculated dues over $20,000. Agencies paying DEED dues on behalf of their Association members receive complimentary DEED membership.
State and regional associations: Associations can join the DEED program for a flat fee of $275.
Federal service contracts: These power-related agencies of the United States Government, may join DEED for a flat fee of $2,500.