The American Public Power Association is accepting nominations to represent APPA on IEEE’s National Electrical Safety Code Main Committee.
Published exclusively by IEEE and updated every five years to keep the Code up to date with changes in the industry and technology, the NESC sets the ground rules and guidelines for practical safeguarding of utility workers and the public during the installation, operation, and maintenance of electric supply, communication lines and associated equipment.
The Main Committee is responsible for:
- Revising and/or maintaining the NESC
- Establishing or disbanding Technical Subcommittees, working groups or task forces
- Voting on approval of revisions to the NESC proposed by the technical subcommittees
- Adopting Main Committee procedures and revisions thereof
- The addition or termination of Main Committee member organizations
- Other matters requiring Main committee action
NESC also has several technical subcommittees as well to create change proposals, consider change proposals submitted by others, and establish Working Groups and Task Forces to conduct in-depth research on specific technical topics and issues:
- Scope, Purpose, Definitions & Coordination
- Grounding Methods
- Electric Supply Stations
- Overhead Line Clearances
- Overhead Line Strength and Loading
- Underground Lines
- Rules for Safeguarding Workers and the Public
If you are interested in serving in this position, send an expression of interest along with a current resume to Michael P. Coe, Vice President, Physical and Cyber Security Programs [email protected].
Self-nominations are allowed and encouraged.
Candidate materials must be received by 5:00 PM ET on Friday, November 3, 2023. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to Coe.