This manual provides a comprehensive discussion of the background and implementation of Title II of the Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act of 1978, or PURPA. Attorneys at the law firm of Thompson Coburn fully revised the 2014 edition of the manual, which offers in-depth guidance to public power utilities and other industry stakeholders on how to navigate PURPA’s complex compliance requirements.
Topics covered in the manual include:
- Overview of PURPA and recent developments
- PURPA compliance FAQs
- Applicability of PURPA’s requirements
- Implementation of PURPA by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and state and local regulators
- Electric utility obligations under PURPA
- Determination of avoided costs
- PURPA enforcement
The manual was sponsored by the American Public Power Association, the Edison Electric Institute, the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners, and the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association. The manual is available at no charge.