Distribution Systems Testing, Application, and Research (DSTAR) was a consortium of electric distribution utilities and utility organizations that collaboratively sponsored near-term, pragmatic distribution research and development.
Similar to the DEED program, DSTAR leveraged funding for innovative electric industry research and development in a competitive utility environment. DSTAR bundled multiple research projects into “programs” that typically lasted about 1.5 -2 years. All research activities were envisioned and directed by DSTAR member utilities. Research typically included equipment testing and product evaluation, niche software for standards and engineering support, and whitepapers and reports on pressing industry issues.
Between 2010 and 2022, DEED was a part of the DSTAR consortium and obtained access to many DSTAR research products. These research products are now available to DEED members via the DEED Project Library.
Paul Jakubczak, Director of Enterprise Services for the city of Gastonia, N.C., is DEED’s representative to the DSTAR Advisory Committee.
William Jabour, Senior Product Marketing Manager, GE Power is the GE point of contact for this project.
DSTAR Research Available to DEED Members
Program 17 Projects
View program 17 project descriptions here.
- SEDS Modernization, Project 17-`1 - In Progress
- Impact of 5G Systems on Distribution Utilities, Project 17-2
Program 16 Projects
View program 16 project descriptions here.
- Best Practices to Mitigate Temporary Faults on Overhead Distribution, Project 16-3
- Additional Secondary Electrical Design Software (SEDS) Enhancements, Project 16-4
- Electronic Data Handbook (eHandbook), Project 16-5
- Evaluation of Power Control Devices for Distribution Feeders, Project 16-6
- Analysis of Distribution Capacitor Switching Transients, Project 16-7
- Distribution Series Capacitor Application Considerations and Recommendations, Project 16-8
Program 15 Projects
View program 15 project descriptions here.
- Administrative Projects and Software Maintenance, Projects 15-1 and 15-2
- DSTAR Website Improvements, Project 15-3
- DSTAR Mobile Applications, Project 15-4 and 15-9: View the mobile applications
- Marketing and BD, Project 15-5
- PV Impacts, Project 15-6: Listen to a webinar on this project from 11/14/2016
- LED Lighting, Project 15-7: Listen to a webinar on this project from 1/10/2017
- Impulse Testing, Project 15-8
Program 14 Projects
View program 14 project descriptions here.
- Administrative Projects, Projects 14-1 thru 14-3
- Surge Protection of Electronically-Controlled Devices Installed in Distribution Systems, Project 14-4
- Cable Pulling Assistant Software Enhancement, Project 14-5
- Best Practices for Integration of Utility Communications, Project 14-6
- Survey of Best Practices for Copper Theft Deterrence, Project 14-7
- Motor Problems Resolution and Avoidance – Update CRN Publication, Project 14-8
- Best Practices to Improve Reliability, Project 14-9
- Cable Electrical Parameters Software (CEPS) Enhancements, Project 14-10
Program 13 Projects
View program 13 project descriptions here.
- Commercial Load Estimation Program, Project 13-2
- Inspection and Maintenance Survey, Project 13-3
- Secondary Electrical Design Software (SEDS) Enhancements, Project 13-4
- Harmonic Load Impact and Mitigation, Project 13-5
- Centralized vs. Distributed Feeder Automation, Project 13-6
- Conservation Voltage Reduction (CVR): Testing, Methods, and Results, Project 13-7
- SEDS-Based Lighting Tool, Project 13-8
- PV Impact on Distribution Systems, Project 13-9
- Smart Grid Impact On Distribution Reliability, Project 13-10
- Software Updates, Project 13-11
DEED gained access to several works of research completed prior to its joining the consortium in 2010.
- Ferroresonance Guidelines for Modern Transformer Applications, Project 2-4
- Floating Wye-Delta Overhead Bank Overvoltages, Project 5-2
- Transformer Scrap/Repair Decision Software (TSRDS), Project 7-3
- Transformer Seasonal Loading Analysis Guidelines, Project 8-10
- Economic Overhead Conductor Software (EOCS), Project 9-5
- Transformer Owning Cost Software (TOCS), Project 10-4
- Changing Nature of Loads and the Impact on Utilities, Project 12-6
- Current Limiting Fuse Application Guidelines, Project 12-7