Nashville, Tennessee, June 14, 2022 — Twenty-Three individuals and eight utilities were recognized for service to the American Public Power Association and the public power industry during APPA’s National Conference in Nashville, Tennessee.
The individuals and utilities recognized at the ceremony were:
Alex Radin Distinguished Service Award
This award is the highest award granted by the American Public Power Association. The award recognizes exceptional leadership and dedication to public power.
- Decosta Jenkins, Former President and CEO, Nashville Electric Service, Nashville, Tennessee
- Steve Wright, Former General Manager, Chelan County Public Utility District, Wenatchee, Washington; Former Administrator, Bonneville Power Administration, Portland, Oregon
James D. Donovan Individual Achievement Award
This award recognizes people who have made substantial contributions to the electric utility industry, with a special commitment to public power.
- Paul Lau, CEO and General Manager, Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD), Sacramento, California
- Mark McCain, Retired Vice President of Member Services and Public Relations, Florida Municipal Power Agency, Orlando, Florida
- Raj Rao, Retired President and CEO, Indiana Municipal Power Agency, Carmel, Indiana
- Steve Rentfrow, Former General Manager, Crisp County Power Commission, Cordele, Georgia
Alan H. Richardson Statesmanship Award
This award recognizes public power leaders who work to achieve consensus on national issues important to public power utilities.
- Fred D. Clark, Jr., President and CEO, Alabama Municipal Electric Authority, Montgomery, Alabama
Larry Hobart Seven Hats Award
This award recognizes managers of small utilities serving fewer than 2,500 meters. These managers have a very small staff and must assume multiple roles.
- Derek Brown, City Administrator, City of Albany, Missouri
- Alan E. Fiser, Village Administrator, Pioneer Municipal Utilities, Pioneer, Ohio
- George E. Moon, City Manager, City of West Point, Georgia
- George Morrissey, Director of Public Works, Cuba City Utilities, Cuba City, Wisconsin
- Brian Mullen, Electric Superintendent, Darlington Municipal Utilities, Darlington, Indiana
- Chuck Ralls, City Manager, City of Comanche Public Works Authority, Comanche, Oklahoma
Harold Kramer-John Preston Personal Service Award
This award recognizes individuals for their service to the American Public Power Association.
- Liz Jambor, Retired Manager of Data Analytics & Business Intelligence, Austin Energy, Austin, Texas
- Lisa G. McAlister, Senior Vice President & General Counsel for Regulatory Affairs, American Municipal Power, Inc., Columbus, Ohio
- Kenneth Roberts, Supervisor of Safety & Training & Mutual Aid Coordinator, ElectriCities of North Carolina, Inc., Raleigh, North Carolina
Spence Vanderlinden Public Official Award
This award recognizes elected or appointed local officials who have contributed to the goals of the American Public Power Association.
- Mona C. Clark, Utility Board Chair, Keys Energy Services, Key West, Florida
- Dwight Day, Representative, Oak City, Utah; Board Director, Utah Associated Municipal Power Systems, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Stan Luke, Mayor, Burlington, Kansas
Robert E. Roundtree Rising Star Award
This award is a scholarship presented to future leaders in public power. The recipient receives a stipend to travel to an APPA conference or training program to advance their education and development in public power.
- Angie Luna, Director of Power & Public Works, City of Acworth, Georgia
Mark Crisson Leadership and Managerial Excellence Award
This award recognizes managers at a utility, joint action agency, or state or regional association who steer their organizations to new levels of excellence, lead by example, and inspire staff to do better.
- Crystal Currier, Controller, Vermont Public Power Supply Authority, Waterbury Center, Vermont
- Wes Kelley, President & CEO, Huntsville Utilities, Huntsville, Alabama
- David W. Osburn, General Manager, Oklahoma Municipal Power Authority, Edmond, Oklahoma
E.F. Scattergood System Achievement Award
This award honors American Public Power Association member systems with outstanding accomplishments.
- City of Hamilton, Ohio
- City of Rock Falls Electric Department, Rock Falls, Illinois
Sue Kelly Community Service Award
This award recognizes utilities for their "good neighbor" activities that demonstrate commitment to the local community.
- Kansas City Board of Public Utilities, Kansas City, Kansas
- Kissimmee Utility Authority, Kissimmee, Florida
- Lincoln Electric System, Lincoln, Nebraska
- Tullahoma Utilities Authority, Tullahoma, Tennessee
- Turlock Irrigation District, Turlock, California
Energy Innovator Award
APPA’s research program, Demonstration of Energy & Efficiency Developments (DEED), nurtures innovation in public power. Each year, the program recognizes innovative utility projects with this award.
- Sacramento Municipal Utility District, Sacramento, California