How to Tame the Three-Headed Monster: FMLA, ADA, & Workers’ Compensation
May 29, 2014
2 - 3:30 p.m. ET
All you need to attend is a phone and a computer with Internet access.
This webinar will map out the different rules between the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) that apply when the same condition of the same employee may, at the same time, be a “serious health condition” for FMLA purposes; a “qualified disability” for ADA purposes; and perhaps even an illness or injury covered by workers compensation insurance. It will cover the following topics (and others, time permitting):
- Is a “serious health condition” for FMLA purposes the same as a “qualified disability” for ADA purposes?
- Do the rules for getting second and third medical opinions under the FMLA also apply to the ADA?
- Can medical information which may be obtainable under the ADA also be used to determine an employee’s eligibility for FMLA leave? Or vice versa?
- Can you require an employee on FMLA leave to substitute paid leave for unpaid FMLA leave, if s/he is simultaneously receiving workers compensation benefits?
- How do the rules governing job reinstatement differ among the FMLA, the ADA and workers compensation law?
- Can individual managers or supervisors be held liable for violations of the FMLA or the ADA?
- Gerald Panaro, Esq., Howe & Hutton, Ltd., Washington, D.C.
- $89 for APPA members
- $179 for nonmembers
Click here to register for the webinar
- You will need a username and password to register
- If you need assistance, please contact APPA's web staff
- Log-in information for the webinar will be sent out the morning of the event (around 10:30 a.m. Eastern). If you do not receive the reminder email, please contact Meghan Riley (202/467-2919; MRiley@PublicPower.org.
- Registration is for one phone line and one computer. If you have multiple employees participating in this webinar from the same organization and all are in the same location, it is permissible to have multiple people listen in via speaker phone.
- This webinar is worth 1.5 CPEs/.2 CEU/1.5 PDH credits
- CPE Field of Study: Specialized Knowledge & Applications
- The certificate is only available to the person who registered for the webinar and attendance is confirmed by the webinar report log
- Links to all presentations and an audio recording will be sent out shortly after the webinar occurs
Submit Questions in Advance
To ensure topics of interest are covered sufficiently, we encourage registrants to submit topics and questions prior to the webinar. Please submit questions/topics to EducationInfo@PublicPower.org.