WASHINGTON, D.C., June 9, 2020 — Nineteen individuals and ten utilities were recognized for service to the American Public Power Association and the public power industry during the American Public Power Association’s Public Power Connect: Virtual Summit & Business Meeting.
The individuals and utilities recognized at the ceremony were:
Alex Radin Distinguished Service Award
This award is the highest award granted by the American Public Power Association. The award recognizes exceptional leadership and dedication to public power.
- Walter W. Haase, General Manager, Navajo Tribal Utility Authority, Fort Defiance, Arizona
- Arlen Orchard, CEO & General Manager, SMUD, Sacramento, California
James D. Donovan Individual Achievement Award
This award recognizes people who have made substantial contributions to the electric utility industry, with a special commitment to public power.
- George Caan, Executive Director, Washington Public Utility Districts Association, Olympia, Washington
- Bryan Cope, Program Development Manager, Southern California Public Power Authority, Glendora, California
- Brian D. Taylor, General Manager, CDE Lightband, Clarksville, Tennessee
Alan H. Richardson Statesmanship Award
This award recognizes public power leaders who work to achieve consensus on national issues important to public power utilities.
- Steve Wright, General Manager, Chelan County PUD, Wenatchee, Washington
Larry Hobart Seven Hats Award
This award recognizes managers of small utilities serving fewer than 2,500 meters. These managers have a very small staff and must assume multiple roles.
- Mike DeFinis, Borough Manager, Borough of Hatfield, Pennsylvania
- Bob Lockmon, Village Superintendent, Stuart Municipal Power, Stuart, Nebraska
- Jason McPherson, City Administrator, Marlow Electric, Marlow, Oklahoma
- Jeff Peterson, Superintendent, Brodhead Water & Light, Brodhead, Wisconsin
- Stuart T. Smith, Superintendent, Spring Valley Public Utilities, Spring Valley, Minnesota
- Brad Zellers, Town Manager, Town of Winamac, Indiana
Harold Kramer-John Preston Personal Service Award
This award recognizes individuals for their service to the American Public Power Association.
- Julio Torrado, Director of Human Resources and Communications, Keys Energy Services, Key West, Florida
Spence Vanderlinden Public Official Award
This award recognizes elected or appointed local officials who have contributed to the goals of the American Public Power Association.
- Ronald W. Boles, Chairman of Electric Board, Huntsville Utilities, Huntsville, Alabama
- Rebecca Casper, Mayor, City of Idaho Falls, Idaho
- Kathleen Thacker, Board of Directors Chair, Kissimmee Utility Authority, Kissimmee, Florida
Robert E. Roundtree Rising Star Award
This award is a scholarship presented to future leaders in public power. The recipient receives a stipend to travel to an Association conference or training program to advance their education and development in public power.
- James R. Logan, Executive Director of Infrastructure, City of Hamilton, Ohio
Mark Crisson Leadership and Managerial Excellence Award
This award recognizes managers at a utility, joint action agency, or state or regional association who steer their organizations to new levels of excellence, lead by example, and inspire staff to do better.
- Thomas J. Heller, President & CEO, Missouri River Energy Services, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- David Leathers, General Manager, Jamestown Board of Public Utilities, Jamestown, New York
E.F. Scattergood System Achievement Award
This award honors American Public Power Association member systems with outstanding accomplishments.
- Navajo Tribal Utility Authority, Fort Defiance, Arizona
- Pasadena Water & Power, Pasadena, California
Sue Kelly Community Service Award
This award recognizes utilities for their "good neighbor" activities that demonstrate commitment to the local community.
- CPS Energy, San Antonio, Texas
- Crawfordsville Electric Light & Power, Crawfordsville, Indiana
- Easton Utilities, Easton, Maryland
- Glendale Water & Power, Glendale, California
- Knoxville Utilities Board, Knoxville, Tennessee
Energy Innovator Award
The Association’s research program, Demonstration of Energy & Efficiency Developments (DEED), nurtures innovation in public power. Each year, the program recognizes innovative utility projects with this award.
- American Municipal Power, Inc., Columbus, Ohio
- Heartland Consumers Power District, Madison, South Dakota
- Lakeland Electric, Lakeland, Florida