Eighteen individuals and ten utilities were recognized for service to the American Public Power Association and the public power industry during an awards ceremony at the Association’s National Conference in Orlando, Florida.
The individuals and utilities recognized at the ceremony were:
Alex Radin Distinguished Service Award
This award is the highest award granted by the American Public Power Association. The award recognizes exceptional leadership and dedication to public power.
- Paula DiFonzo, Past Chair of American Public Power Association Board of Directors, Retired CEO, New Braunfels Utilities, New Braunfels, Texas
- Gil C. Quiniones, President and CEO, NYPA, White Plains, New York
James D. Donovan Individual Achievement Award
This award recognizes people who have made substantial contributions to the electric utility industry, with a special commitment to public power.
- Phillip “Doc” Mueller, Senior Vice President, Government Affairs & Management Services, Illinois Municipal Electric Agency, Springfield, Illinois
- Anthony T. Ward, Retired General Manager Grand Rapids Public Utilities Commission, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
Alan H. Richardson Statesmanship Award
This award recognizes public power leaders who work to achieve consensus on national issues important to public power utilities.
- Mike Vinson, Executive Director, Tennessee Municipal Electric Power Association, Brentwood, Tennessee
Larry Hobart Seven Hats Award
This award recognizes managers of small utilities serving fewer than 2,500 meters. These managers have a very small staff and must assume multiple roles.
- Johnnie Burns, Electric Superintendent/Water Distribution Superintendent, Village of Yellow Springs, Ohio
- Ron Clodfelter, Electric Superintendent, Las Animas Municipal Light and Power, Las Animas, Colorado
- Shawn Guidice, Utilities Superintendent, Rising Sun Municipal Utilities, Rising Sun, Indiana
- Mike New, City Manager, City of Newberry, Florida
- Dave Slezickey, City Manager, Kingfisher Power, Kingfisher, Oklahoma
Harold Kramer-John Preston Personal Service Award
This award recognizes individuals for their service to the American Public Power Association.
- Arthur J. (Grant) Lacerte, Jr., Vice President and General Counsel, Kissimmee Utility Authority, Kissimmee, Florida
- Mike Willetts, Director of Safety and Training, Minnesota Municipal Utilities Association, Plymouth, Minnesota
Spence Vanderlinden Public Official Award
This award recognizes elected or appointed local officials who have contributed to the goals of the American Public Power Association.
- Stan Akers, Service Board Chairman, Peru Utilities, Peru, Indiana
- Thomas A. Kuntz, Mayor of Owatonna, Minnesota Owatonna Public Utilities, Owatonna, Minnesota
- Charles D. Lamb, Mayor, City of Edmond, and Board Chair, Oklahoma Municipal Power Authority, Edmond, Oklahoma
Robert E. Roundtree Rising Star Award
This award is a scholarship presented to future leaders in public power. The recipient receives a stipend to travel to an Association conference or training program to advance their education and development in public power.
- Kyle Roadman, Manager, Power Resources, Emerald People's Utility District, Eugene, Oregon
Mark Crisson Leadership and Managerial Excellence Award
This award recognizes managers at a utility, joint action agency, or state or regional association who steer their organizations to new levels of excellence, lead by example, and inspire staff to do better.
- Paul Beckhusen, Director, Coldwater Board of Public Utilities, Coldwater, Michigan
- Ivan Henderson, Commissioner, Cleveland Public Power, Cleveland, Ohio
E.F. Scattergood System Achievement Award
This award honors American Public Power Association member systems with outstanding accomplishments.
- Coldwater Board of Public Utilities, Coldwater, Michigan
- Keys Energy Services, Key West, Florida
- Lincoln Electric system, Lincoln, Nebraska
Community Service Award
This award recognizes utilities for their "good neighbor" activities that demonstrate commitment to the local community.
- Bristol Tennessee Essential Services, Bristol, Tennessee
- Colorado Springs Utilities, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Hamilton Department of Electric, Hamilton, Ohio
- Tacoma Public Utilities, Tacoma, Washington
Energy Innovator Award
The Association’s research program, Demonstration of Energy & Efficiency Developments (DEED), nurtures innovation in public power. Each year, the program recognizes innovative utility projects with this award.
- Fort Collins Utilities, Fort Collins, Colorado
- Village of Minster, Minster, Ohio
- Sacramento Municipal Utility District, Sacramento, California
- Tacoma Power, Tacoma, Washington