Disaster Response and Mutual Aid

FEMA to provide $1 billion to help in preparations for extreme weather events, other disasters

The Biden Administration on May 24 announced that it will direct $1 billion for communities, states, and Tribal governments into pre-disaster mitigation resources to prepare for extreme weather events and other disasters.

In 2020, the U.S. experienced a record year for extreme weather, including an unprecedented 30 named storms in the Atlantic Basin and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is anticipating another above-normal hurricane season this year, a White House fact sheet noted.

NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is forecasting a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and a 10% chance of a below-normal season. However, experts do not anticipate the historic level of storm activity seen in 2020, NOAA said on May 20.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will provide $1 billion in 2021 for the Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities (BRIC) program, a portion of which will be targeted to disadvantaged communities.

BRIC supports states, local communities, tribes, and territories in undertaking pre-disaster hazard mitigation projects, reducing the risks they face from disasters and natural hazards. This level of funding level is double the amount provided last year.

The American Public Power Association (APPA) offers a wide range of resources to its members related to hurricane and storms. Those resources include an All-Hazards Guidebook and a Restoration Best Practices Guidebook. APPA members can access disaster planning and response resources — including the public power Mutual Aid Network.

To join the Mutual Aid Network, complete the Mutual Aid Agreement and email it to APPA at [email protected].