Public power is defined by our commitment to community service. Each year we kick-off the National Conference by celebrating this commitment with the Public Power Day of Giving, where conference participants can donate a day to volunteer with local service organizations in our host community. In addition to engaging in a day of meaningful volunteer activities, participants get to spend the day meeting other members of the national public power community, making lasting connections that will remain long after the conference is over.
The 12th annual Public Power Day of Giving will be held on Friday, June 7, 2019. Registration deadline is May 10.
2019 Day of Giving Volunteer Projects
Projects will be posted in January 2019.
Day of Giving Schedule
Here is the rough schedule of the Day of Giving for volunteers:
- 7 a.m. - Volunteers meet at the convention center for a light breakfast & announcements. Volunteers will then organize into their work groups and load buses.
- 8 a.m. - Buses will take the work groups to the site of their project. At the project site, each group will receive their work assignments and instructions, and will begin work. Drinking water, snacks, and necessary tools will all be provided.
- Noon (approx.) - Lunch break (boxed lunches will be delivered to the work sites)
- 3 p.m. - Work ends; Volunteers clean up, and load buses to return to the Hilton New Orleans Riverside.
- 4 p.m.(at the latest) - Volunteers are back at the hotel.
- 5 p.m. - Reception for volunteers at the hotel.
Information for Volunteers
Who can volunteer?
Anyone! Conference attendees, guests, expo participants, or anyone else who is able are all encouraged to participate in the Public Power Day of Giving. Bring your spouse, children, friends … all are welcome! Any volunteer under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. (Some projects may have age restrictions).
What if I don’t have any skills or experience?
That’s not a problem – most of the work opportunities don’t require any particular skill sets, and on-site training will be provided. All you need is a desire to help.
Do I need to bring my own tools?
No; all of the tools you will need at the work site, so you don't need to worry about bringing your tools with you on the plane (unless you really want to).
Who will I work with?
The Association will work with the volunteer projects to assign working groups based on your skills and any special requirements. We will keep you together with your guests, but getting to know new people you may not otherwise meet at the conference is one of the great benefits of participating in the Day of Giving.
What about meals and drinking water?
We will have plenty of water available at the work sites, and a lunch will be provided. A light breakfast will be provided Friday morning before the buses depart for the work sites.
Contact Ana Mejia (202-467-2976; [email protected]) for more information about the Day of Giving.
Become a Partner
Become a Day of Giving Partner and help support the Public Power Day of Giving.
How You Can Help
We are seeking partners to defray the costs associated with the Public Power Day of Giving, including bus transportation to and from the work sites, food, and water.
Companies who support this event with a contribution of $1,000 receive the following benefits:
- Logo with hyperlink on the Public Power Day of Giving page on PublicPower.org
- Logo on volunteer t-shirts. Commit by April 27 to ensure inclusion.
- Logo on the Public Power Day of Giving sign at the registration desk at the National Conference & Public Power Expo
- Logo in PowerPoint presentation during a general session
- Logo in the conference on-site program
- Sponsor ribbon on your representatives’ nametags during the National Conference & Public Power Expo
Complete the partner form and review the benefits of becoming a partner in the Day of Giving prospectus.
Contact Pamela Cowen (202-467-2903; [email protected]) for more information about becoming a Day of Giving Partner. Partners must confirm their support by April 19, 2019, to receive all sponsor benefits.