Your electric rates might be fairly static, but your costs aren’t. Explore the relationship between utility costs and the time of energy use and learn how this should affect how you calculate your rates. Discuss how to make your rate structure understandable and usable to various stakeholders, such as with effective price signals, and how to communicate how any rate changes would impact customers and the utility’s long-term financial stability. Review case studies and walk through the rate development process.
- Executive management
- Accounting personnel
- Rate analysts
- Financial planners
- Other utility personnel involved in utility rate setting.
Mark Beauchamp is the president for Utility Financial Solutions, a consulting practice that specializes in financial planning, cost of service, and rate-setting for public power utilities. He has over 35 years of experience in electric utility consulting and management. In his previous positions, Mark has assisted with improvements to accounting and operation practices, risk assessments, cost of service, and competitive rate designs. He is a frequent speaker at national and regional conferences and has taught a variety of courses for APPA. He holds degrees in water purification technology and accounting, as well as a master's degree in business.
Join this three-part series and hear how other public power utilities are implementing rate changes to promote growth, meet challenges, create savings, and properly recover costs.
Discuss implementation and transition strategies and considerations, including effective ways to educate and communicate with staff, boards, and the public. Review trends and real-world case studies to understand the what, why, and how of strategic rate design for public power.
Whether you’re experienced in developing rate strategies or new to this topic, you’ll receive practical insights to apply to your utility’s rate structures.
Email [email protected].
Registration is for one person (individuals receive unique log in credentials that cannot be shared). Discounted group pricing is available.
Individual webinars: $109 for members; $209 for nonmembers. Click on a webinar title to register individually:
- Rate Design for Today’s Customers: July 7
- Understanding Price Signals and Time of Use Rates: July 14
- Strategies for Transitioning to New Rates: July 21
The 3-part series (discounted price): $275 for APPA members; $550 for nonmembers
- Register for the series.
- Webinars are recorded, in case you miss the live version (registrants automatically receive the recording within 24 hours). Continuing education credits are not available for recorded events.
Save 50% when registering a group of 10 or more people. Contact [email protected] for details.
- You will need a username and password to register through our website. If you need assistance, please contact our web services staff.
How to Join a Webinar
- Log-in information will be sent out the morning of each event (around 10:30 a.m. Eastern). If you do not receive the reminder email, please email [email protected].
- Registration is for one person (individual logins are unique and cannot be shared). If you have multiple employees participating from one designated location (e.g., a conference room), all can listen and watch, though the completion certificate is only available to registered individuals.
- We encourage you to use voice over internet protocol (VoIP) instead of a phone line, if possible. This option provides the best audio quality and allows you to listen to the webinar through your computer’s microphone and speakers.
- For best results, we recommend using Google Chrome to log into the ClickMeeting platform.
- Each webinar is worth .1 CEU/1 PDH/1.2 CPE credits; CPE Field of Study: Specialized Knowledge
- Registrants are required to log in via the individual web link provided by email before the webinar and participate for at least 45 minutes of the event, in order to receive a completion certificate.
- The completion certificate is only available to the person who registered for the webinar. Attendance is confirmed by the webinar report log. Certificates are emailed within a day of the event.
- Links to all handouts and an audio recording will be sent out within 24 hours of the webinar.
We encourage you to submit questions for the speaker(s) in advance by emailing We encourage you to submit questions for the speaker(s) in advance by emailing [email protected]. You may also ask questions through a chat feature during the webinar.
Have questions? Contact [email protected].