A utility’s overall financial health can help ensure its current and future ability to provide reliable service to customers. Review guidelines to assess your utility’s current financial health compared to key financial targets and learn how to put a plan in place to reach recommended targets.
Discuss key financial targets and how they work together including: days of cash on hand, recommended minimum cash requirements, rate of return, debt coverage ratio, age of system, proper capital re-investment, debt policies, transfer to the city, and rate structures that support revenue stability (especially during periods of declining sales due to weather, general economy, or distributed energy resources).
This three-part series covers the ins and outs of financial planning for municipal utilities. Receive practical insights, review public power case studies, and hear about industry best practices for assessing a utility’s financial health. Learn how to determine key financial targets and use financial indicators to guide your strategic decision making and improve or maintain your utility’s long-term financial success. Get tips on how to communicate utility financial performance and rate changes to customers.
Who Should Participate
While the content is geared towards public utility finance and accounting personnel, executive managers, rate analysts, and policymakers will also benefit from the information.
These webinars are conducted at a practical level, using real-world examples and case studies from public power utilities across the nation (making them appropriate for non-finance personnel as well).
Dawn Lund is the vice president of Utility Financial Solutions and has 20 years of experience in financial analysis for utility systems. She provides financial assessment, cost of service studies and financial plans for utilities throughout the country, Canada, Guam and the Caribbean and teaches a variety of financial planning courses for the American Public Power Association.
Individual webinars: $109 for members; $209 for nonmembers
Please click on each webinar title to register individually:
- Monitoring Financial Health with a Check-Up : July 11
- Defining Revenue Requirements : July 25
- Establishing and Protecting Your Cash Position : August 8
The 3-part series (discounted price): $275 for APPA members; $550 for nonmembers
- Register for the series.
Webinars are recorded and available for playback, in case you miss the live version.
- You will need a username and password to register. If you need assistance, please contact our web services staff.
How to Join a Webinar
- Log-in information will be sent out the morning of each event (around 10:30 a.m. Eastern). If you do not receive the reminder email, please call 202-467-2997 or email [email protected]).
- Registration is for one phone line and one computer. If you have multiple employees participating from the same location, all can listen in via speaker phone.
- You may use voice over internet protocol (VoIP) instead of a phone line. This option allows you to listen to the webinar audio through your computer’s microphone and speakers.
- Submit your questions for speakers before the webinar — email them to [email protected]. You may also ask questions via online via chat during the webinar.
- Each webinar is worth 1.5 CPEs/.2 CEU/1.5 PDH credits
CPE Field of Study: Specialized Knowledge
- The completion certificate is only available to the person who registered for the webinar and attendance is confirmed by the webinar report log.
- Links to all handouts and an audio recording will be sent out shortly after the webinar.