2 – 3:30 p.m. Eastern
Held in cooperation with Hometown Connections.
This is the second of three webinars in the Strategic Planning Webinar Series.
- Click here to register for Finances and Performance: Building Your Strategic Plan webinar.
- Click here to register for the 3-part series at a discounted rate.
This three-part webinar series dives into all you need to know about the value of a strategic plan, how to create a plan suited to your organization, and how to implement that plan. You’ll learn how to engage policymakers and staff, set realistic timetables and budgets, select the right process for your utility, and when and how to hire consultants. You also will take a deep dive into managing financial operations as part of long-term performance planning.
You can’t just leave financial planning and oversight to your CFO, if you have one. Your organization’s leadership and governance team should be equally vested in monitoring financial health.
Join this webinar to understand financial management issues, roles, and strategies from the perspective of utility senior leaders and board/council members. Get the big picture on all aspects of performance planning. Review how decisions about budgets, rates, power supply, services, and system maintenance impact your strategic plan and performance.
- Financial basics: statements, revenues, expenses, cash and reserves, projections and forecasts, infrastructure investments, benchmarks
- Rate planning and design
- Risk management
- Performance management
- Working with your board
Who Should Participate
- CEOs, general managers, senior executives, board/council members, and others involved in strategic planning
- The series reviews strategic planning options for public power utilities of different sizes and with a variety of governing structures. The webinars also review strategic planning for state associations and joint action agencies.
Phyllis Currie, Executive Consultant, Hometown Connections, Pasadena, California
Phyllis Currie is an Executive Consultant for Hometown Connections. Previously, she served for 14 years as the general manager of Pasadena Water and Power in California, preceded by a 30-year career with the City of Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. She has served on the boards of the Southern California Public Power Authority, the California Municipal Utilities Association and the Electric Power Research Institute. She currently serves on the Electricity Advisory Committee for the U. S. Department of Energy and is the Audit & Finance Committee chair and member of the System Planning Committee and the Corporate Governance & Strategic Planning Committee for the Midcontinent Independent System Operator (MISO) board. Phyllis holds degrees from UCLA’s Anderson School of Business and she also completed the Program for Senior Executives in State and Local Government at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard.
Individual webinars: $99 for Association members; $199 for nonmembers
- Click here to register for the Finances and Performance: Building Your Strategic Plan webinar.
The three-part series (discounted rate): $250 for Association members; $550 for nonmembers
- You will need a username and password to register. If you need assistance, please contact the Association’s web services staff.
How to Join a Webinar
- Log-in information will be sent out the morning of each event (around 10:30 a.m. Eastern). If you do not receive the reminder email, please call 202/467-2976 or email [email protected]).
- Registration is for one phone line and one computer. If you have multiple employees participating from the same location, all can listen in via speaker phone.
- You may use voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) instead of a phone line. This option allows you to listen to the webinar audio through your computer’s microphone and speakers.
- Submit your questions for speakers before the webinar — email them to [email protected]. You may also ask questions via online via chat during the webinar.
- Each webinar is worth 1.5 CPEs/.2 CEU/1.5 PDH credits
CPE Field of Study: Specialized Knowledge
- The completion certificate is only available to the person who registered for the webinar and attendance is confirmed by the webinar report log.
- Links to all handouts and an audio recording will be sent out shortly after the webinar.
Contact 202/467-2965 or [email protected].