October 12, 2015 - FERC chairman Bay shares APPA’s interest in promoting effective wholesale market competition
In a time of sweeping changes in the electricity industry, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission’s main task is “to focus on the fundamentals,” FERC Chairman Norman Bay told a public power audience in Florida on Oct. 11.
October 11, 2015 - Electricity groups ask FERC to issue order clarifying new energy market in Northwest
In Oct. 5 comments to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the American Public Power Association and other electricity groups asked FERC to “remove uncertainty” about four legal issues of concern to utilities in connection with the development of a sub-hourly energy market in the Northwest Power Pool footprint.
October 11, 2015 - States are 'leading the way' when it comes to energy storage development
States are "really leading the way right now" when it comes to the advancement of energy storage, said Matthew Roberts, executive director of the Energy Storage Association, on Oct. 8.
October 9, 2015 - Cost impact of PJM capacity performance changes pegged at around $7.3 billion
A new report commissioned by the American Public Power Association estimates the cost impact on consumers of the PJM Interconnection's recent capacity performance package of changes to its Reliability Pricing Model capacity construct to be $7.3 billion over the course of the 2016/17, 2017/18, and 2018/19 delivery years, with likely further impact in later years.
October 9, 2015 - Court issues nationwide stay of ‘Waters of the US’ rule
On Oct. 9, granting motions filed by 18 states, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit issued an order putting the “Waters of the United States” rule on hold throughout the United States.
- Florida utility CEO says energy storage could ultimately displace peaker plants
- 7-MW energy storage facility, 4-MW solar plant to be installed in public power village
- Utility-scale solar price hits all-time low, study finds
- Austin Energy installs Tesla battery with community solar project
- CPS Energy receives nearly 2,000 applications for new rooftop solar program
- Moeller to leave FERC at end of October
- Public Power Weekly Exclusive: Microgrids: Self-sufficient energy islands
- Public Power Weekly Exclusive: LED streetlight conversion project saves energy, money for public power utility
- New Hampshire utilities grapple with confusion over ‘grid modernization’
- Public Power Weekly Exclusive: MRES pilots program to quantify the value of public power
Click here to subscribe to APPA's publications.
In eight issues a year, Public Power magazine takes a look at the new technologies, regulatory landscape, and utility activities happening to and for public power utilities across the country.
The DEED Digest is a quarterly publication produced the APPA Demontration of Energy and Efficiency Developments (DEED) Program, delivering findings from DEED grant and technical projects and general program updates. The DEED Digest is only available for DEED members.
APPA's Newsroom is the hub for journalists looking for information on APPA activities, legislative and regulatory issues, and industry information.
Public Power TV
Watch videos from APPA conferences, interviews with industry through leaders, and recaps of public power news.