July 29, 2016 - FERC proposes revised data collection requirements for bulk power markets
The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission has proposed to improve its surveillance of wholesale power markets through a notice of proposed rulemaking, or NOPR, that it issued on July 21. The 105-page NOPR is entitled Data Collection for Analytics and Surveillance and Market-Based Rate Purposes (Docket No. RM16-17-000).
July 29, 2016 - Iowa utility to spend $1 billion to expand wind energy operations
Alliant Energy on July 27 said it will invest approximately $1 billion to expand its wind energy operations in Iowa.
July 29, 2016 - Maine governor proposes net metering changes
With many states looking at their net metering policies, Maine's governor wants net metering customers to be paid at a wholesale price for their excess power instead of at their retail rate.
July 29, 2016 - NextEra to buy stake in Texas-based Oncor under $18.4 billion deal
Florida-based NextEra Energy on July 29 said that it has entered into a definitive agreement under which a newly formed subsidiary of NextEra Energy will acquire 100 percent of the equity of a reorganized Energy Future Holdings Corp. and certain of its direct and indirect subsidiaries, including EFH’s approximately 80 percent indirect interest in Oncor Electric Delivery Company.
July 28, 2016 - States: Court ruling on regional haze supports case against Clean Power Plan
A group of states that are challenging the Environmental Protection Agency's Clean Power Plan said July 27 that a recent decision by a federal appeals court on a different EPA matter supports two key arguments that they are making against the CPP.
- Electricity Markets of the Future: Making It Work for Public Power
- New report finds most utilities see disruptive change coming
- Public Power Weekly Exclusive: Unique transaction will allow Navajo utility to bring power to about 300 families
- DOE to provide funding to APPA for member physical, cyber security efforts
- Public power utilities earn high customer satisfaction rankings from J.D. Power
- Driving Lessons: Charging Ahead in the Electric Vehicle Race
- Minnesota PUC requires 'value of solar' for utility's community gardens
- Study: Data center demand growth slows on improved efficiency
- U.S. residential storage market heats up with new solar storage offering
- Report outlines advice to public power on Utility of the Future issues
Click here to subscribe to APPA's publications.
In eight issues a year, Public Power magazine takes a look at the new technologies, regulatory landscape, and utility activities happening to and for public power utilities across the country.
The DEED Digest is a quarterly publication produced the APPA Demontration of Energy and Efficiency Developments (DEED) Program, delivering findings from DEED grant and technical projects and general program updates. The DEED Digest is only available for DEED members.
APPA's Newsroom is the hub for journalists looking for information on APPA activities, legislative and regulatory issues, and industry information.
Public Power TV
Watch videos from APPA conferences, interviews with industry through leaders, and recaps of public power news.