Maner to speak at APPA Leadership Workshop, Oct. 9-11
Originally published August 29, 2013
APPA’s 2013 Public Power Leadership Workshop will feature Gordon Maner, senior public service associate of training, education and development at the Carl Vinson Institute of Government at the University of Georgia. The workshop will be held at the Hyatt Regency hotel on the Riverwalk in San Antonio, Texas, Oct. 9-11.
Maner will lead an interactive session on developing your most effective leadership style. He will teach attendees how to motivate staff to achieve their highest level of performance and discuss styles and competencies of successful leaders and how they can be applied to motivate individuals and move organizations forward.
Maner has decades of experience in local and state government training. He is a recipient of the University of Georgia’s Public Service and Outreach Walter B. Hill Award for Distinguished Achievement in Public Service. In addition to his work in Georgia, he does training, facilitation and consulting regionally, nationally and internationally.
This annual workshop is designed for general managers and CEOs (particularly those new to their jobs) as well as senior managers and those on track for executive leadership positions.
Other sessions at this event will cover: leadership in a time of change, understanding the changing business environment: the electricity industry’s outlook for the future; positioning your utility to be competitive; operations and performance planning for management; and a session on effective utility governance that looks at the shared roles of the utility board and the chief executive.
In conjunction with the Public Power Leadership Workshop, APPA is also holding its Fall Education Institute the week of Oct. 7 in San Antonio. The institute features 16 in-depth courses on accounting, cost of service, conducting a utility financial check-up, key accounts management, and a new track of four safety courses.
For more information, visit www.APPAAcademy.org under "Courses and Workshops" or contact Meghan Riley at 202/467-2919 or MRiley@PublicPower.org.
Please Sign in to rate this.
Senior Vice President, Publishing
Jeanne Wickline LaBella
Editor, Public Power Daily
Fallon W. Forbush
Manager, Integrated Media
David L. Blaylock
Integrated Media Editor
- Utility to invest $4.5 billion in 2,000-MW wind farm, power line
- EIA: Daily gas power burn hits highest daily level so far in 2017
- NYPA’s Quiniones, CPS Energy recognized for energy transformation efforts
- To reduce impact of regulations, DOE should comply with process rules, Association says
- Judge backs New York on plan to support nuclear generation
- Officials urge public power utilities to be prepared for cyberattacks
- Public power utilities recognized for high customer satisfaction
- Lawmakers hear about capacity market flaws, rising grid costs
- Cyber Hygiene: Preventive Care to Avoid Electric System Decay
- Hamilton Utilities’ urban forestry program boosts safety, reliability