APPA presents Radin Award to Santee Cooper's Lonnie Carter
Originally published June 20, 2013
Lonnie Carter, president and CEO of Santee Cooper in Moncks Corner, S.C., received APPA’s Alex Radin Distinguished Service Award yesterday at the association’s National Conference in Nashville, Tenn. The award, named for longtime APPA chief executive Alex Radin, is the highest award granted by APPA and is bestowed in recognition of exceptional leadership and dedication to public power.
Carter has spent his entire career at Santee Cooper. He joined the utility as an analyst in 1982, immediately after he graduated from The Citadel in Charleston, S.C.
As measured by energy generated, Santee Cooper is the largest public power utility in the nation and is the third largest in megawatt-hour sales. As CEO since 2004, Carter has made it a priority to keep the cost of electricity as affordable as possible for the people of South Carolina.
In 1997, Carter was loaned by Santee Cooper to the then-fledgling Energy Authority, a new power supply and risk management agency launched by Santee Cooper and two other utilities. He spent a year in Florida to move the new agency from start-up to operation. Today, The Energy Authority works with 45 public power utilities to provide energy trading, risk management and power supply services.
In 2010-2011, Carter was chairman of the APPA board. A video posted on APPA's website summarizes his career.
Each year at its national conference, APPA presents major awards to individuals and utilities that demonstrate leadership among public power utilities. The 2013 award winners received their awards this week at the association’s National Conference in Nashville. For more coverage of the awards, see the June 17 Public Power Weekly and the June 19 Public Power Daily. Videos commemorating the awardees are posted on Public Power TV. Full profiles of all the winners are in this month’s Public Power magazine.
Please Sign in to rate this.
Senior Vice President, Publishing
Jeanne Wickline LaBella
Editor, Public Power Daily
Fallon W. Forbush
Manager, Integrated Media
David L. Blaylock
Integrated Media Editor
- To reduce impact of regulations, DOE should comply with process rules, Association says
- Judge backs New York on plan to support nuclear generation
- House bill designates municipal bonds as high-quality liquid asset
- California prices increasingly mimic ‘duck curve,’ EIA says
- Senate panel opposes sale of PMA assets, bolsters cybersecurity agreement
- Officials urge public power utilities to be prepared for cyberattacks
- Public power utilities recognized for high customer satisfaction
- Lawmakers hear about capacity market flaws, rising grid costs
- Hamilton Utilities’ urban forestry program boosts safety, reliability
- Cyber Hygiene: Preventive Care to Avoid Electric System Decay