APPA collects top communicators’ salary data
Sixty-four public power utilities provided information on communications directors’ salaries for APPA’s 2013 annual salary compensation survey.
Survey results reflect information reported as of May 2013. The communications director was defined as the person responsible for internal and external utility communications, including informational programs directed toward the public, media, government, and employees; and the utility’s publications. No information was collected about the communications positions for utilities with less than $15 million in annual electric revenues because these utilities typically have fewer managerial positions.
A total of 335 utilities responded to the 2013 Survey of Management Salaries in Local Publicly Owned Utilities, which collected information on 23 occupations for the 196 utilities with $15 million or more in annual electric revenues.
"Since the composition of utilities included in the survey of management salaries changes each year, it can be misleading to compare results between years," cautions APPA Manager of Policy Research and Analysis Paul Zummo.
|Revenue Class (Millions)||
Number of Responses
|Mean||First Quartile||Median||Third Quartile|
|$15 to $25||2||a||b||a||b|
|$25 to $50||13||89,019||72,900||86,765||101,608|
|$50 to $100||18||77,916||58,308||83,198||91,767|
|$100 or more||31||113,971||87,439||109,179||132,542|
|Note a: Means and medians are not calculated for fewer than 5 responses.
Note b: Quartiles are not calculated for fewer than 9 responses.
The table above shows the mean, median and quartile values for communications salaries by revenue class. For more information, contact Tobias Sellier, communications specialist, at 202/467-2927; firstname.lastname@example.org.
2013 joint action agency communications salaries
APPA’s 2013 Joint Action Agency Salary Survey gathered data on compensation for 16 joint action agency employment categories. Of the 30 responses received, 14 agencies provided information about agency communications directors’ salaries.
The table shows the mean, median, and quartile values for joint action agency communications salaries.
|JAA Survey||Number of Responses||Mean||First Quartile||Median||Third Quartile|
Please Sign in to rate this.
Customer Connector is published winter, spring, summer and fall by APPA's Communications Department.
Vice President of Communications
Senior Communications Specialist
Fallon W. Forbush
- Hamilton Utilities’ urban forestry program boosts safety, reliability
- Kansas City BPU exceeds 45 percent renewable energy threshold
- Generators appeal judge’s ruling on Illinois nuclear support
- California lawmakers pass bill extending cap-and-trade program
- Survey offers window into smart grid awareness in New York
- Eighteen individuals, ten utilities win national public power awards
- Officials urge public power utilities to be prepared for cyberattacks
- Public power utilities recognized for high customer satisfaction
- SMUD board approves new Time-of-Day standard residential rates
- Report sees more than seven million plug-in EVs in U.S. by 2025