Electric Utility Industry Overview
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Recommended CEUs .7/PDHs 6/CPEs 7.5
Field of Study: Specialized Knowledge and Applications
For CPE Accreditation, this course is a group-live offering.
Certificate Program Requirement
This course is required for participants in APPA's Customer Service Management Certificate Program*.
Public power employees and policymakers must understand basic industry operations such as power supply and delivery. This course provides a broad, non-technical overview of how the components of an electricity system function together to provide reliable and environmentally sustainable service to customers. Learn about generation, transmission, substations, distribution, reliability, customer service, long-term planning, and legislative and regulatory issues facing the industry.
- Overview of the electric utility system and major industry issues
- Integrated resource planning process
- Generation sources, including fossil fuels and renewable energy sources, and their strengths, weaknesses, and environmental considerations
- Utility owned and operated generation, purchased power agreements, power supply by joint action agencies to member distribution utilities
- Real-time supply and demand unique to the electricity industry
- Elements of an electric distribution system (substations, transformers, meters and smart grid technologies)
- Transmission systems, system reliability, and the role of regional transmission organizations and independent system operators
- Distributed generation, with emphasis on solar/battery technology implications at the residential level)
- Introduction to helping customers manage energy usage
Basic. This course does not have prerequisites and does not require advance preparation.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for utility staff and policymakers looking for a comprehensive overview of the electric utility industry and is part of APPA’s Customer Service Management Certificate Program.
Wallace Barron has 40 years of experience in the electric energy industry. He is president of the Atlanta-based consulting firm, Barron & Associates Corporate Solutions, LLC, which serves the energy industry in the areas of management consulting, strategic planning, marketing, customer service, key accounts and competitive issues. He previously worked as the vice president of marketing, customer service & distribution technology at Florida Power Corp. in St. Petersburg, Fla. His responsibilities have included key accounts, competitive marketing, market research, customer service, economic development, demand-side management, load management, load research and distribution engineering. Wallace has also served as an expert witness on many of these topics.
2016 PDF Brochures
2015 PDF Brochures
- 2015 Fall Education Institute Brochure
- 2015 Public Power Leadership Workshop
- 2015 Fall Institute Technical Training Brochure