Public Utility Accounting
Monday, May 14 – Tuesday, May 15, 2018
Grand Hyatt Denver
Monday: 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Tuesday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Recommended CEUs 1.3/PDHs 13/CPEs 15
Field of Study: Accounting
This course highlights the development of a utility accounting system that is compatible with Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) guidelines. It examines accounting theory, the role of accounting in public utilities, FERC accounting procedures, the uniform systems of accounts, and utility accounting subsystems.
- Accounting for operating revenues and expenses
- Introduction to utility property and plant accounting
- Introduction to FERC uniform system of accounts
- Applicability of generally accepted accounting principles to public utilities
- Financial statement structure and presentation
- Capital vs. expense determination
- Allocation of indirect or common costs
- Accounting for unbundled services
Sample Agenda/Learning Outcomes
Click here to see a sample agenda and learning outcomes.
Basic: No prerequisites; no advance preparation.
Who Should Attend
Designed for those who are new to public utility accounting practices or unfamiliar with the FERC accounting structure.
Jerry McKenzie is a senior associate with MGT of America, Inc. and is the author of three APPA publications: Unbundling Electric Distribution-Related Services, Costing Electricity Generation in a Competitive Environment: Principles & Procedures, and Public Utility Accounting. He has an extensive 30-plus year background in cost accounting concepts and practical applications. Having worked in both the private electric utility sector and the municipally owned environment, Jerry brings a broad and somewhat unique perspective to this session. He has extensive knowledge of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission’s (FERC) statutes and regulations and has taught on a variety of subjects dealing with Public Utility Accounting, including cost of service, rate design, benchmarking, and financial forecasting.
Course Descriptions (subject to change)
Hotel and Registration Information
2017 PDF Brochures
- 2017 Energy Efficiency Management Certificate Program Brochure
- 2017 Public Power Manager Certificate Program Brochure
- 2017 Technical Training Brochure
- 2017 Spring Institute Brochure