Modeling Customer Service in Your Leadership Style
Thursday, Feb. 2, 2017
Hotel Valley Ho
1 – 4:30 p.m.
Recommended CEUs .3/PDHs 3.25/CPEs 3.5
Field of Study: Specialized Knowledge
For CPE Accreditation, this course is a group-live offering.
Certificate Program Requirement
This course is required for participants in APPA's Customer Service Management Certificate Program.
Ensuring that all utility employees and governing officials “buy in” to a culture of excellence in customer service requires very specific leadership skills and strategies. Identify the qualities of a good leader and learn the steps to transforming your utility culture to improve performance.
- Differences between good and bad leaders, and between leaders and managers
- Identify the leader’s customers
- Changing the culture of the customer service function vs. the entire organization
- Key activities of a customer service leader, including employee recruitment and selection, new employee orientation, ongoing training and education, performance monitoring, setting compensation and rewards, empowering employees, and gathering feedback from customers
- Creating internal and external customer communications programs
- Leading up: getting buy in and adoption from other department heads, utility managers and policymakers
Basic. This course does not have prerequisites and does not require advance preparation.
Steve VanderMeer, Senior Vice President of Planning and Marketing, Hometown Connections, Fort Collins, Colo. Steve jointed Hometown Connections in 1998 and provides consulting, training and facilitation support to public power utilities and their governing boards. He has worked with a wide range of municipal governments and non-profit organizations on strategic planning, governance, organizational assessments, public participation, market research and customer service issues. He is the author of APPA’s publication, Customer Service: Building a Strong Infrastructure for Your Utility. Previously, Steve worked at Fort Collins Utilities where he was the Director of Marketing and Energy Services.