PURPA Title II Compliance Webinar
July 23, 2014
2 - 3:30 p.m. ET
All you need to attend is a phone and a computer with Internet access.Register now!
This event is being offered in association with the Edison Electric Institute, the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners, the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association, and the Institute of Public Utilities at Michigan State University.
This webinar will address the compliance issues associated with Title II of the Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act of 1978 (PURPA). A new compliance manual, sponsored by the electric industry, was released earlier this year to provide guidance to electric utilities and state public utility commissions on dealing with issues related to PURPA. The PURPA Title II Compliance Manual summarized the original law’s provisions, changes made by the Energy Policy Act (EPAct) of 2005, and certain recent Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) proceedings and enforcement actions. Click here to download a PDF of the manual.
In this webinar, the authors of the new compliance manual will provide historical context for PURPA and spell out the rights and obligations of public power, cooperative, and investor-owned utilities, as well as state public utility commissions, with respect to the qualifying facilities that the law promotes.
Topics will include:
- Historical context and key features of PURPA Title II
- Summary and explanation of FERC’s PURPA regulations
- Definition of and criteria for qualifying facilities
- Procedures for obtaining qualifying status
- Determining avoided cost
- Electric utility obligations
- Rates for purchases and sales
- Standby, back-up, and maintenance power issues, and interconnection costs
- EPAct 2005 – opt-out provisions in competitive markets
- Termination of obligation to purchase from and sell to qualifying facilities
- Discussion of recent PURPA-related cases and FERC proceedings
- Robert Burns, Independent Consultant and Attorney with over 25 years of experience at the National Regulatory Research Institute
- Kenneth Rose, Ph.D., Independent Consultant and Senior Fellow with the Institute of Public Utilities, Michigan State University
- $89 for APPA, EEI, NRECA and NARUC members
Click here to register for the webinar
- EEI, NRECA and NARUC members can attend at the APPA member rate. Please enter the appropriate coupon code during checkout. If you need assistance, please contact Meghan Riley (202/467-2919; MRiley@PublicPower.org).
- You will need a username and password to register
If you need assistance with usernames and passwords, please contact APPA's web staff.
- Log-in information for each webinar will be sent out the morning of the event (around 10:30 a.m. Eastern). If you do not receive the reminder email, please contact Meghan Riley (202/467-2919); MRiley@PublicPower.org.
- Registration is for one phone line and one computer. If you have multiple employees participating in this webinar from the same organization and all are in the same location, it is permissible to have multiple people listen in via speaker phone.
- Each webinar is worth 1.5 CPEs/.2 CEU/1.5 PDH credits
CPE Field of Study: Specialized Knowledge & Applications
- The completion certificate is only available to the person who registered for the webinar and attendance is confirmed by the webinar report log
- Links to all presentations and an audio recording will be sent out shortly after the webinar occurs
Submit Questions in Advance
To ensure topics of interest are covered sufficiently, we encourage registrants to submit topics and questions prior to the webinar. Please submit questions/topics to EducationInfo@PublicPower.org